The Head of Internal Audit has responsibility for the internal audit function and establishing internal audit policies, processes and practices for the FamGuard Group of Companies. The position must ensure Internal Audit is closely aligned with industry best practices, and must also ensure optimization of the effectiveness of risk management, internal control and governance.
- Plan, organize, direct, and control audits for the FamGuard Group; and develop risk based audit objectives and design audit programs and schedules including the preparation of an audit plan for approval by the audit chair
- Conduct assigned audit engagements successfully from beginning to end, performing follow-up risk assessments on key business activities to guide the scope of audit work
- Work with the Audit Committee and management to ensure a system is in place whereby all major risks of the Company are identified, analyzed and addressed within agreed timeframes and approaches
- Ensure audit conclusions are based on a complete understanding of the process, circumstances, and risk
- Provide a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes
- Identify and evaluate weaknesses in internal controls and provide recommendations for improvements to processes, systems and procedures
- Report on the findings and recommendations and monitor management’s response and implementation
- Actively raise awareness of enterprise risks to minimize all potential losses / reputational damage
- Conduct investigations of fraud and other risk related events ensuring prompt reporting and escalation, including final comprehensive reports within agreed timeframes
- Liaise with departments, regulators, and the police as needed
- Follow up on all matters to final resolution
- Contribute to the development of internal control methods, processes, and procedures within the Group
- Coordinate audit plans or programs with external audit firms or regulatory examiners
- Manage, coach, and train all direct reports ensuring adherence to all Company policies governing people management, compliance, and training
Any other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth operation of the Group, including the full support of Group events and community initiatives.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting, Information Systems or related degree
- Knowledge of fraud investigation (Note: certification will be required)
- Certification as a CIA, CPA, or CISA
- Minimum of eight years of full-time experience in auditing, accounting, business analysis, or program evaluation, including three years of supervisory or project management experience
- A graduate degree in business administration, public administration, accounting, information systems or a related field or a second certification (CIA, CPA, or CISA) may substitute for one year of required experience
- Audit experience in a life and health insurance company preferred
Must also have the following demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of and skill in applying internal auditing and accounting principles and practices, and management principles and preferred business practices
- Considerable knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by The Institute of Internal Auditors
- Skill in conducting quality control reviews of audit work products
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions
- Extensive skill in planning and project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines
- Considerable skill in negotiating issues and resolving problems
Resumés with accompanying certificates should be forwarded via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2019.
FamGuard thanks all applicants; however, only those short-listed will be contacted.
Head of Internal Audit